Sunday, December 03, 2006


The University of the Philippines was established in 1908 with three initial colleges, the College of Fine Arts, the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Medicine and Surgery occupying buildings distributed along Padre Faura and R. Hidalgo in Manila as well as a School of Agriculture in Los Banos, Laguna. The succeeding years saw the establishment of additional colleges: the College of Law and the College of Engineering in Manila, as well as units in Los Baos for the College of Agriculture and Forestry.The student population had shot up from the original 67 to 7849 in 1928, and continued to rise in the succeeding years. With the outbreak of World War II and the invasion of Japanese troops in 1942, the university had to close some of its colleges while maintaining only some units such as the Colleges of Medicine, Engineering and Pharmacy operational.When the war ended in 1946, the College of Law and College of Liberal Arts buildings were left with extensive damages. UP President Bienvenido Gonzales immediately sought a grant of P13 million from the US-Philippines War Damage Commission, and this amount was used for an intensive rehabilitation and construction effort during the post war years. Meanwhile, the rest of the colleges and administrative offices had to make do with temporary shelters, quonset huts made of sawali and galvanized iron.By february 1949, administrative functions of the whole university were already relocated to the new campus, and the governance of UP's regional units in Manila, Los Baos, Baguio, and Cebu were also located in Diliman.One reform introduced into the university in 1959 was the General Education Program, a series of core courses prescribed for all students at the undergraduate level. President Vicente Sinco created the University College and the College of Arts and Sciences and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, which would offer major courses in the humanities, natural sciences and social sciences.By the
Who I Want to Meet:The MRC report led to the wide-ranging reorganization of the UP system, most importantly, the further decentralization of UP administration and the declaration of UP Diliman as an autonomous unit in March 23, 1983. UP College Baguio was then placed under the supervision of UP Diliman.By 1997, UP Diliman had 18,935 students distributed among 12 pre-baccalaureate, 74 baccalaureate and 8 post-baccalaureate programs, which in turn are handled by 2,441 faculty members.Today, the University of the Philippines is composed of six constituent universities and one autonomous college. Together, these have an aggregate of 48 colleges. From an initial enrollment of 50 in 1909, the total count of students has risen to 36,774 in the first semester of 1994-95.

No comments: