Wednesday, August 10, 2005

id0l k0 't0!

Ely Buendia

Eraserheads was the most popular Pinoy rock band in the early ‘90s, thanks to the talent, extraordinary charm and experimental ingenuity of its members, vocalist/guitarist, Ely Buendia in particular. His voice and words matched with the mix of retro, rock and alternative beats were a fresh, dramatic and hypnotic hit to Pinoy music. However, the group disbanded a decade later, spurred by the departure of Ely.

Despite the dissolution of the Eraserheads, Ely remains visible in the music scene as the leader of the band, The Mongols. And his image as a haughty pop sensation remains. “I don’t live up sa kung anumang image ng tao sa ‘kin…. kaya maraming naaasar,” remarks Ely. ”Gusto ko tao pa rin ako when I get out, when I perform… Hindi ‘yung kung ang image ng audience sa iyo ‘yun ang gagawin ko. Kung gutom ako, galit ako, papakita ko talaga.”

Ely kids himself as the rebel “without” a cause, but take that lightly folks. He isn’t really headstrong and is never a moment shallow. His band mates from The Mongols have always given him the highest regard, some even initially intimidated from assuming he’s a stern perfectionist. But hang around with him a little bit more and you’ll find out he’s a generous guy who brings out the best in the group. Also, contrary to rumors, he doesn’t have a wild personality. Remember how quiet the break-up of Eraserheads was? His exit after all had nothing to do with any grudges. It was just simple way of moving on. “Physically, mentally, emotionally, I had to take a vacation because 10 years with the Eraserheads was sobrang draining, na-burn out ako…” recalls Ely.

Today, Ely combines fame and fatherhood and is also more open to talking about his life. However fans or critics perceive this music icon, he says “I’m just always true to myself.”

No comments: